Visitors

Monday 21 May 2018

Bad Boy, Brendini! Bad Bad Boy!



Well, hand me my hair-shirt and pass that scourge, will you? Mea culpa, mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa. Yes yes, I know. The cartoon is of questionable taste, but that is merely par for the course for me as regular readers will know (won't you both?).
 No, I am ashamed to confess that this one is in particular poor taste. I owe D. C. Thomson, in general, and the late, great Jack Prout specifically, a huge apology. Close scrutiny (and if you click on the picture you may scrutinise in great detail) will reveal to readers of a certain age that two of the protagonists very strongly resemble the shepherd, Andrew Glen and his faithful Border Collie, Black Bob. The explanation lies in the fact that I based two of the characters on Andrew Glen and Black Bob. Simple as that.
You may be too young to appreciate Black Bob's qualities of bravery, loyalty and steadfastness, but he was very popular and had eight annuals dedicated to his adventures.
This is why I hang my head in shame. Black Bob would never participate in the shenanigans depicted here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment