Visitors

Monday 19 March 2012

The Devil Made Me Do It


Alas and alack, gentle reader, it is with a heavy heart that have to relate my dolorous tale as I take up my crow-quill electronic keyboard. I am afraid your author got naught but nought points in this week's caption competition. And you can see why from the sequential car-crash pictures at the top of this page. It was a weak idea weakly executed and it got worse with each rendition. The theme was evil and I thought well, you can't get much more evil than the devil, now can you? And what could be his most evil act? The thigh-slapping  idea that came to me was that he wouldn't just tell little children that Father Christmas was dead, he would show them. Then I thought, hang on, that's a bit out of season for that. As it's nearly Easter how about showing them the Easter Bunny? Yeah, that'll do it! That'll garner me a bumper crop of points!
How did I finish up with such a grotty drawing? A combination of things, really. I have found that shift-work and Springer Spaniel puppy ownership have really eaten into the available time left for cartooning. That and my own bloody bone-idleness. I only gave myself three quarters of an hour to "ink" the drawing. Halfway through I changed the brush size and towards the end I saw that rather than ink it in black I had used a dark grey! Yes, yes. I am my own worst enemy, I know. Drastic re-think and change of action required. Watch this space.

4 comments:

  1. Never mind...onwards and upwards! There's the caricature contest to get your teeth..I mean stylus into....

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have found that shift-work and Springer Spaniel puppy ownership have really eaten into the available time left for cartooning. That and my own bloody bone-idleness"

    Check that comment over again, Brendan.

    How much time does the dog really take? I know all about shifts, but the truth is that, like me, you are probably very tired and regularly finding it difficult to be "arsed" to do the things you really want to do.

    During your moments of quietness and meditation (particularly at work) what you should be doing is inventing a Time Machine. THEN, and only then, can you go back and sort all this out.

    You can be a famous cartoonist and I'll be a cross between Richard Thompson, Ry Cooder and Mark Knopfler. And still have stage fright fright (and do nothing).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, by the way - your style is well and truly established. I like the expression on Old Nick's face.

    ReplyDelete